Sunday, June 28, 2009

London, Day 2 & 3, and the Isle of Man

I'm behind, so I'll give the short short version of events again...

Saturday in London: my roommie and I got up, had English Breakfast (we did NOT try the baked beans; I'm sorry, it's just too strange), went to the British Museum (SO crowded, and cat mummies? weird!), strolled to St. Martin's in the Fields, had tea at the Crypt there, and headed to the National Gallery. One thing we saw really disturbed me: Friday night, hundreds of people held a vigil in Trafalgar Square in honor of Micheal Jackson, and during that some number of them decided to DEFACE the outside of the National Gallery by writing notes to MJ all over the bricks. A much funnier scene we witnessed on our way back to the hotel: near the British Museum in Bloomsbury Square (a lovely little park where people picnic and sunbathe), we saw a 60-something year old woman, dressed very nicely in a sweater, long skirt, pantyhose and heels...squatting and urinating on a bush in the park. It felt like I was right in the middle of Bourbon Street. That night we met up with a few people from our group and had dinner in the neighborhood; very low key.

Sunday in London/Douglas, Isle of Man: had English breakfast again, strolled around the neighborhood in the direction we had not explored yet; almost EVERYTHING was closed, so we went to Charles Dickens' House. Then we found a perfect little pub on Queen's Square, had a pint, and took a taxi to London City Airport. The flight to the Isle of Man was short, but turbulent. The Isle is soooooo lovely! As we flew in, it was like a perfect picture post card: cows and fields and cliffs and ocean. We took another taxi to our new hotel and finally got to meet up with the rest of our group (only about 5 of the 15 of us had been in London for the weekend). Beth and I carried our gear up to the 3rd floor, unpacked our bags, then the whole group went walking to the Promenade, the seafront area in Douglas. We had dinner and drinks in the basement of a little Italian place, then half of us ended up at a little Irish pub where more drinks were had...Now, I am off to bed!

P.S. I have tried 5 times to post pics with this post, and it is still not working. I'm posting some to my Facebook page, and I'll try here again later!

No comments:

Post a Comment