Friday, June 26, 2009

London, baby!

A small part of the wall of Chimay bottles downstairs at Belgo

Satan Ale, the beer and its eponymous glass, at Belgo

Belgo at sunset (around 9:30 PM)

The view from the bicycle taxi

The ladies wanted to eat here, but the men wanted the beer selection at Belgo's


I am here. I am exhausted. Where to begin...

I shared a taxi from Heathrow into the city when I arrived at noon. Apparently, jet lag is a good look for me because the cabbie gave me his number and told me to "ring him for coffee or drinks." If anyone is lonely in London, I'll be happy to pass Tyler's digits on to you.

I arrived at the Park Inn, Russell Square and was SO pleased to discover both hot water and air conditioning in my room. Score! Beth, my roommate for the trip, arrived; we introduced ourselves and napped. We set off to meet the rest of our group around the corner at the flat one of our professors is renting. Drinks were had, plans were made.

The group took off on foot, walking from Bloomsbury to Covent Garden, where we had dinner at Belgo. It was a really interesting spot; all Trappist, Belgian beers and food stuffs served by waiters in Trappist robes. Our Columbian driver almost ran over a small dog in his bicycle taxi.

I know; this is the Cliff Notes version of the adventure so far. I am worn out and will report with more zeal soon!

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you made it safely! Did you use my going away present? Everything sounds lovely--I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete